Last Updated: April 1, 2023
Canopy Planet Foundation is an environmental non-profit dedicated to making grants to organizations working to protect the world’s forests, species, and climate, and support the advancement of traditional and indigenous communities’ rights by harnessing the power of the global marketplace.
Canopy Planet Foundation
141 -1733H Street
Tel: +1 (206) 456-3856
Tax ID #: (EIN) 87-4752209
The purpose of this policy
To fulfill our conservation aims and objectives we need to communicate with a range of people in a variety of ways: face to face, via post, telephone, or electronic mail, on social media, and through our website. To be effective, we need to collect and store data provided to us by donors, potential donors, supporters of our work, visitors to our website, guests at our events, brand and conservation partners, and suppliers. Therefore, this policy applies to all personal data that we collect from you, both what we collect through our website and online platforms as well as what you submit to us offline or that we receive from our partners, suppliers, and collaborators. This data will always and only be used to further our charitable aim: to protect Ancient and Endangered Forests.
This policy explains the nature of the personal data we collect and why we collect it. Our aim is to ensure that we are transparent and honest about the data we collect and to give users a better understanding and control over the data we maintain about them.
Canopy Planet Foundation is fully committed to protecting the privacy and security of everybody we communicate with.
What is personal data?
Personal information is ‘any information relating to an identifiable person who can be directly or indirectly identified in particular by reference to an identifier.’ An identifier could be a name, email address, telephone number, social media handle, photograph, address, payment details, organizational affiliation, etc.
What personal data do we collect?
We collect data you knowingly and voluntarily give to us, including information you provide when you register for our newsletter, make a donation, communicate with us – through a face-to-face meeting or via email or post, attend one of our events, use our website or interact with us on social media. This data may include:
• Personal details (name, email address, telephone contacts, and postal address)
• Financial information
• Details of your interests and preferences that you volunteer to us, such as project and event interests as well as how you would like us to communicate with you
• Organizational affiliation
• We also maintain a record of your activities and involvement with Canopy Planet Foundation or any of our related organizations so that we have a history of event attendances, donations, interests, and inquiries. This assists us in improving our communications with you.
Why do we collect personal data?
As an environmental focused non-profit, our key goal is to fund projects that protect Ancient and Endangered Forests globally. To do this, we need to keep our supporters and partners up to date with our work, we need to support our brand partners and grantees, and we need to engage in fundraising, which depends on us developing and maintaining open channels of communication with various individuals and organizations. We collect personal data in order to:
- Receive and process donations either directly or through a third- party agent
- Maintain a list of people who have donated to us before so we can keep them updated on the impact of their donation;
- Keep information on donors up to date;
- Keep donors, supporters, and partners informed of events we or our related organizations are running that we think will be of interest to them;
- Keep a record of donors who we think may wish to donate to our work in the future;
- Keep supporters, donors, partners, and anybody who has shown an interest in our work (e.g. through signing up for our newsletter, adding an email address to a list at one of our events) up to date with our latest news;
- With your permission, combine personal data you provide to Canopy Planet Foundation with personal data you provide to Canopy Planet Society
- Monitor usage of our website and social media output, evaluate and improve the content on our website;
- Analysis: We may carry out analysis on our, donors and partners to determine the success of our efforts to inform our approach and understand how we can improve our communications and engagement;
- Maintain a list of people who we are in regular communication with;
- Maintain a list of people who have opted out of any of our communications so we know not to contact them.
When and with whom do we share your personal data?
As an environmental non-profit, our key goal is to protect Ancient and Endangered Forests globally. To do this, we need to ensure that we minimize our operating costs so that more of our grants go to protecting the environment. Therefore:
- We have a services agreement with our related organization, Canopy Planet Society to manage our communications. We may share your personal data with Canopy Planet Society in order to facilitate that communication with you. For instance, our newsletter is distributed by Canopy Planet Society.
- We have third-party agents, subsidiaries, affiliates and partners that perform functions on our behalf, such as list management, hosting, billing, push notifications, storage, bandwidth, content management tools, analytics, customer service, fraud protection, etc. These entities will be provided access to your personal data as necessary to perform their functions, but they are contractually obligated to maintain the confidentiality and security of your personal data. They are restricted from using your personal data in any way other than to provide services to us.
How we communicate with you
Sharing our news and updates
So that we can keep partners, supporters and donors informed of our activities we send out a newsletter by email every two months. Our newsletter gives information on our work, our team, our events, and other activities we undertake, as well as information regarding the work of our grantee and related organizations. We view providing this information as an essential part of serving our donors, supporters, and partners.
Any recipient can unsubscribe from our newsletter by using the ‘Unsubscribe’ option in the email or by contacting us (contact details above).
If you do not currently receive our newsletter but wish to receive it, you can sign up, either through our website or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sending information on events and fundraising
We will continue to send information to our donors, supporters, and partners who have worked with us in the past, however, recipients are free to change their contact preferences at any time by contacting us by telephone, post, or email (contact details above) or by using the unsubscribe option in the email they receive. New supporters will be asked if they would like to opt-in to receive it via our newsletter or through our website.
Communicating with donors
We send information to donors to fulfill our legal duties when we receive a donation. This information may also include updates on funded work and news about the organization or related organizations.
Updating your information
Please let us know if your personal information changes. We would like to make sure we are only sending you the information that you are interested in and that it reaches you in the format you prefer. To update your information please contact us by telephone or email (contact details above).
Bank account information
Once we have received your information it will be stored electronically and is managed in accordance with our Data Protection Policy following appropriate control and security procedures designed to prevent any unauthorized access. We will keep your data for as long as we consider it necessary to carry out our activities, taking into consideration legal, taxation and accounting requirements.
Understanding exactly what data we maintain about you
You can contact us at any time to ask what information we hold on you and to update it or ask us to delete it. To do this please contact: email@example.com.
Or you can write to our Development and Operations Director at our postal address:
141 -1733H Street
If you wish to verify the personal details we maintain about you, we require your full name, address, and email, and your relationship to Canopy Planet Foundation. Please note that information will only be disclosed regarding the person making the request, or to someone who is acting on their behalf (such as a solicitor or someone with a verified power of attorney). We will ask for proof of identity before we release any information.
How long do we store your data?
This depends on the nature of our relationship with you. We endeavor not to store your data longer than is reasonably necessary for us to fulfill our relationship with you. For instance, if you are a long-term partner or ongoing donor, we need to retain your personal data so we can communicate project updates and inform you of the impact of the work you have funded.
Information collected by our web server
We collect aggregated information on site visitors, which we use to analyze the use of our website. We do not identify individual users. We use tools such as Google Analytics to learn what brings visitors to our website and which pages they view.
Our website contains links to external websites. Canopy is not responsible for the privacy practices and content of those sites and cannot guarantee that content linked to them will always be available.
Questions and Complaints
Changes to this policy